Visit quick start
From Core Physics Wiki
The following is a quick introduction to Visit:
- Install Visit on your sytem. Pre-compiled binaries can be downloaded from the Visit website
- Start Visit
- In top left corner, select File --> teapot.vtk --> Open
- Visit will show a blank screen. Next Select the "Add" botton about half-way down on the left side of the screen (part of "Plots" menu). This will bring up a pull-down menu, select "Pseudocolor", then the dataset "X-coordinate". You should see the text "Pseudocolor - X-dimension" displayed in green text. There will still be no plot shown.
- Select the "Draw" button above the green text (in the "Plots" menu). This will display the plot of the Teapot. You can now select the plot, and rotate the image.
- There are two ways to select a different dataset. The first way is to select "Delete" from the "Plots" menu, then repeat steps 4 and 5 with a new dataset name (e.g. choose "Z-coordinate" instead of "X-coordinate"). The second way is to enlarge the main menu window on the right hand side. After you do this, a "Variables" option should show up in the "Plots" menu. The "Variables" button will let you choose different datasets.
- To turn off some of the output in the plot window, select "Controls --> Annotation" from the menu at the top. This will open a new window.
- Unselect the "User Information" box to turn off the information in the lower right corner.
- Unselect the "Database" box to turn off the file name
- Select "Apply" in the lower left corner
- To turn off the grid lines, select the "3D" tab at the top of the "Annotation" window. Unselect the "Show axes" box. Unselect the "Show bounding box". Select "Apply" in the lower left corner.
- To create a screen shot of the plot, select "File --> Save Window" from the main window. This will create a file called "visit0000.png".
There are many different things you can do with the datasets. This tutorial just gives the bare minimum.